Photo: nousDECOR (@nousdecor) on Twitter
Although you may not be able to escape to a heavenly beach cottage or set off on a cruise ship this summer, you can still bring the fresh seaside air into your humble city home with coastal décor. From neutral shades of sand and taupe to nautical accents, here are a few décor ideas for adding tranquil coastal charm to your space.
1) Use minimalist furnishings in a sandy colour palette: If you’re looking for a quick change from those bold tangerine throw pillows, the coastal theme with its easy neutrals is a shift away from bright summertime hues. Transform your living room into a beach home with off-white linen sofas and matching armchairs. Stick to pale, understated shades for a true coastal feel.
Photo: Decoration Art Loft (@decorationartlo) on Twitter
2) Embrace shades of light blue and white: Luckily, pale blue details can add a welcome burst of colour to a neutral coastal inspired room. Contrast your pristine living room with pastel blue ceramic centrepieces, throw blankets and turquoise accent pillows. For a striking look, try adding a coat of baby blue paint to a plain wooden side table.
3) Revamp your plain hardwood floors with a patchwork rug: Although gleaming hardwood floors may look sophisticated on their own, a breezy patchwork rug adds a laidback, beachy element to the room. Look for a rug with shades of pale blue, slate grey or light green for a subtly contrasting effect.
4) Add a grey-green accent wall for a splash of ocean colour: Even if you feel seasick when you’re on the water, coastal decorating allows you to embrace the ocean spirit from your own home. Bring subtle colour to your kitchen or living room with a light grey-green accent wall for a nautical feeling.
5) Bring jute and rattan home accents into your space: Complete your coastal décor with rustic jute rugs, woven twine lampshades and rattan chairs for a comforting vibe. To avoid overwhelming the room with themed décor, add sleek blue accents to balance out the quaint, seaside effect.
6) Update your home with nautical inspired accessories: Although transforming an urban apartment into a ship isn’t an easy décor feat for landlubbers, nautical accents provide an easy upgrade. Place a model sailboat on a wooden bookshelf as a statement piece, or add oversized pillows with an anchor print to your bedroom. To refresh your living room, place seashells and faux starfish decorations in a glass bowl. For a sea voyage without leaving your front door, add a wooden ship’s wheel ornament to your living room wall.